Mega Food Park Alappuzha
- Area-68 acres
- Location- IGC Alappuzha
- Project Cost- 130 Crores
KSIDC is developing a Mega Food Park at IGC(Industrial Growth Centre) Pallippuram, Cherthala , focusing the sea food processing sector ,with grant assistance from Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI), Govt. of India under the Mega Food Park Scheme. Final approval for the project was received from MOFPI on 27.11.2015. The total cost approved is Rs.129.15 crores with Rs.50 Crores as grant from MOFPI, GOI. Project implementation is fast progressing and KSIDC has already received Rs. 28.8 Cr grant amount from MoFPI, GOI.
The KSIDC Marine Mega Food Park has been conceptualized, planned and designed based on the demand driven hub and spoke model with strong backward and forward linkages with the objective to create modern enabling infrastructure for setting up food processing industry. It contains three vital components namely the Central Processing Centre (CPC) at its Hub and Spokes are in the form of Primary Processing Centres (PPC) and Collection Centers (CC) linked by the agro-logistics network.
Central Processing Centre (CPC):
The CPC is the hub of value addition and combines processing, collection, quality control and food testing, trade and other related activities. These functions are spatially and ecologically clustered to create economies of scale through mutually beneficial use of infrastructure. The Central Processing Centre (CPC) is proposed in 68.18 acres of land in IGC Cherthala.
To augment the efficiencies of processing within the CPC, the following infrastructure facilities being created at CPC at IGC Cherthala.
Basic Enabling Infrastructure Facilities:
- Bituminous roads and foot paths
- Site development, compound wall and gate complex
- Common parking facility
- Water supply system
- Storm water drains and sewerage collection network
- Common Effluent Treatment Plant and effluent Conveyance System
- Electrical substation and Internal Electrical distribution system
- Internal Communication network
- Street lighting
- Security surveillance System
Core Processing Infrastructure Facilities:
- Warehouse: A warehouse is proposed for storing products with built up area of 850 Sq.m.
- Cold Storage: Common cold storage of 3000 MT capacity shall be provided in park.
- Deep Freezer Facility: The proposed Deep freezer is designed with 2.5 MT per batch capacity (10 MT capacity per day) .Built up area of the deep freezer including facilities like Blast Freezer, Frozen Cold Room, Chill Room, Packing Area, Receiving Area, & Ante Room facility comes at 408 sq.m
- Deboning unit: The proposed De-boning facility is designed with 10 MT per day capacity (Avg 2.5 MT per batch). Deboning unit is having facilities of Blast Freezer, Plate Freezer, Frozen Room, Raw & Finished Material Chill Room, Flake Ice Room, Fish Processing & de-Boning Hall, Packing & Trolley Loading Area, Waste Material Room, Chemical Stores, Utensil wash area & Ante Room cum Loading area & Unloading Platform facility .
- QC & Food testing Lab:
Non-Core Infrastructure at CPC:
- Administrative Buildings
- Workers amenities
- Training and Skill Development Center
Standard Design Factory (25000 Sq.feet)
An area of around 2 acres has been allocated for development of standard design factory for SME’s to set up manufacturing facilities. These factory building would be built in line with the requirements of a modern and efficient food processing unit. The building would be built with RCC structure and food grade finishes as per the requirements of the industry.
Primary Processing Centers (PPCs):
The Central Processing Center would be backed up by an efficient and sustainable supply chain. Based on surplus raw material available and infrastructure assessment, potential locations for Primary Processing Centers (PPCs) have been identified and mapped which would be supported by cold chain infrastructure to reduce wastages and check quality deterioration. Strong backward linkages would be established by involving fishermen socities/groups and federating them into appropriate entities wherever possible.
PPCs would provide for primary processing facilities such as peeling, cleaning, sorting and grading activities, mechanical weighing and crating of produce. The locations of PPC are:
- PPC-Thoppumpady -90 cents land is procured at Cochin Port Trust (CPT),Thoppumpady harbour area
- PPC-Vypeen -60 cents of land is procured at ‘RMP Thodu’ at Puthuvypeen from CPT
- PPC-Munambaam-75 of land is obtained at Munambam Harbor .
Infrastructure facilities envisaged at PPCs at Thoppumpady and Vypeen are Pre-Processing shed for cleaning, sorting and grading of fish varieties, Flake Ice Plant, Cold Storage and QC Lab.
At Munambam PPC ,the facilities proposed are shed for cleaning, sorting , grading and auction for fish varieties, Ice Plant, QC Lab cum office building and workers amenities.
Project Site Configuration:
The entire extent is owned by KSIDC. The land was acquired for establishing industrial park by KSIDC. An extent of 68 acres of land in Pallippuram Village in Cherthala Taluk in Alappuzha District is proposed for establishing the Mega Food Park by KSIDC.
The proposed Mega Food Park is well connected with adequately wide road which can cater 40 foot container trucks. The nearest Highway is at Aroor and the distance to the NH is 15 KMs. The nearest railway station is Cherthala situated at a distance of 10 KMs. The distance to the Kochi International Airport is 50 Kms and the seaport at Kochi is 35 KMs.
110KV electrical lines are passing through the proposed project site and the feasibility for utilizing the nearby110KV substation at Infopark site has been established and it is proposed to avail the power for this substation to the Mega Food Park . The pipelines of Kerala Water Authority (KWA) are passing through the location and internal water supply scheme is established from the tap off point in this pipeline. The Aroor/Cherthala belt is well known for seafood industries. There are also many preprocessing centers in the locality catering the seafood sector. Considering all these factors, the selected site is ideal for establishing the Mega Food Park.
Shri. K.G. Ajith Kumar
2nd Floor, Choice Towers,
Ph: 0484-2323010/2323101 (EPABX)
Shri. Binil Kumar
CEO ,(Mega Food Park) & Assistant General Manager (Infrastructure)
2nd Floor, Choice Towers,
Ph: 0484-2323010/2323101 (EPABX)