KERALA INVESTMENT PROMOTION AND FACILITAION CELL
In its endeavor to create a conducive environment for investors and improve the Ease of Doing Business in the State, Government of Kerala had undertaken a study to reform the key Acts, Rules and procedures that govern the issue of clearances to investors. The study, which was completed in November 2016, highlighted the interventions required by the Government of Kerala in the areas of policies, procedures and infrastructure in order to make the clearance timelines in the State more competitive and comparable to the top ranked states in India. This includes enhancements to the functioning of the current Single Window Clearance mechanism in the state.
The current Single Window Clearance mechanism has helped to bring considerable improvement to the clearance mechanism in the state. In the current Single Window Clearance system, representatives from various stakeholder Departments meet at pre-defined intervals under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary or District Collector (for District/Industrial Area Boards) to review the clearances being applied for by various establishments.
Government has now streamlined the procedures for granting clearances by amending several Acts, Rules and executive orders, and stipulated timelines for disposal of applications for clearances. However, taking the highly competitive timelines for clearances proposed as part of amendments to the governing Acts and Rules, a suitable supporting governance mechanism is required to ensure that timelines are adhered to.
Kerala Investment Promotion and Facilitation Cell (KIPFC) has been constituted by the Government of Kerala at State and District level comprising officers of various departments, agencies and the Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation with the main objective of providing time-bound clearances for applications for the establishment and operation of enterprises in the State. In addition to facilitation of clearances, the proposed governing entity shall also be engaged in proactive connect with potential investors to promote the sectors in Kerala that have high economic potential and project the strengths of Kerala as a preferred investment destination.
Since Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd. (KSIDC) is a single point contact for all investments to the State, as also a nodal agency for industry and investment promotion and facilitation and acts as an interface between the Government and Industry, the KIPFC shall function within KSIDC and shall be entrusted with the responsibility of easing an investor’s journey of obtaining clearances/ permissions/ licences as well as seamlessly monitoring compliance to the governing statutes and regulations once the establishment is operational.
The broad objectives of the Cell are as follows:
- To act as a single point of contact for the investors and accord all the required approvals
- To track the progress of applications submitted online, obtain regular feedback from the stakeholder departments, remove bottlenecks if any and ensure time bound disposal of applications
- To help investors overcome any difficulties arising related to renewal of clearances or statutory inspections during the running of the establishment
- To coordinate inspections in all operational establishments across the state to ensure compliance to all governing Acts/Rules/Notifications/G.O.s. The District level Cell of the KIPFC shall be headed by the District Collector, and shall have its Secretariat in each District in the respective District Industries Centre.
The State level Cell of the KIPFC shall consist of representatives from the following Departments / Agencies of the Government of Kerala that are responsible for issue of various licenses /permits / clearances under various Acts and Rules.
- Joint Director, Department of Factories and Boilers
- Joint Director, Directorate of Urban Affairs
- Joint Director, Directorate of Panchayats
- Additional Commissioner, Commissionerate of Land Revenue
- Joint Director, Directorate of Industries
- Senior Town Planner, Department of Town and Country Planning
- Additional Commissioner, Labour Commissionerate
- Director, Department of Fire and Rescue Services
- Deputy Director, Directorate of Mining and Geology
- Chief Conservator of Forests, Department of Forests and Wildlife
- Joint Commissioner, Department of Commercial Taxes
- Joint Inspector General, Department of Registration
- Joint Controller, Department of Legal Metrology
- Chief Environmental Engineer, Kerala State Pollution Control Board
- Executive Engineer, Kerala State Electricity Board Ltd
- Deputy Chief Electrical Inspector, Department of Electrical Inspectorate
- Executive Engineer, Kerala Water Authority
- Superintending Hydrogeologist, Department of Ground Water
- Joint Commissioner, Food Safety Standards Authority of India – Kerala
- Administrator, State Environmental Impact Assessment Authority – Kerala
- Administrative Officer, Coastal Zone Management Authority – Kerala
The District level Cell of the KIPFC shall consist of representatives from the following Departments / Agencies of the Government of Kerala.
- Inspector, Department of Factories and Boilers
- Regional Joint Director, Directorate of Urban Affairs
- Deputy Director, Directorate of Panchayats
- Assistant Commissioner, Commissionerate of Land Revenue
- General Manager, District of Industries Centre
- District Town Planner, Department of Town and Country Planning
- District Labour Officer, Labour Commissionerate
- Divisional Fire Officer, Department of Fire and Rescue Services
- Geologist, Directorate of Mining and Geology
- District Forest Officers, Department of Forests and Wildlife
- Deputy Commissioner, Department of Commercial Taxes
- Deputy Registrar, Department of Registration
- Assistant Controller, Department of Legal Metrology
- Environmental Engineer, Kerala State Pollution Control Board
- Assistant Executive Engineer, Kerala State Electricity Board Ltd
- Electrical Inspector, Department of Electrical Inspectorate
- Assistant Executive Engineer, Kerala Water Authority
- Hydrogeologist, Department of Ground Water
- Assistant Commissioner Food Safety, Food Safety Standards Authority of India -Kerala